Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Ruth...


RUTH
We can all learn from this woman of poise and devotion!


*Ruth was dedicated and devoted to things far more important than herself. In fact, she made it a priority to care for the need of others (Naomi & Boaz) more than her own desires. (1:16-18)


16 But Ruth replied, “Don’t urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God.17 Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the Lord deal with me, be it ever so severely, if even death separates you and me.” 18 When Naomi realized that Ruth was determined to go with her, she stopped urging her.

*Ruth was a pursuer of work, and fully embraced the field God had called her to work in. (2:3)

 So she went out, entered a field and began to glean behind the harvesters. As it turned out, she was working in a field belonging to Boaz, who was from the clan of Elimelek.

*Ruth was a servant (2:18)

18 She carried it back to town, and her mother-in-law saw how much she had gathered. Ruth also brought out and gave her what she had left over after she had eaten enough.

*Ruth was hardworking (5-7, 17)


Boaz asked the overseer of his harvesters, “Who does that young woman belong to?”
The overseer replied, “She is the Moabite who came back from Moab with Naomi.She said, ‘Please let me glean and gather among the sheaves behind the harvesters.’ She came into the field and has remained here from morning till now, except for a short rest in the shelter.”

17 So Ruth gleaned in the field until evening. Then she threshed the barley she had gathered, and it amounted to about an ephah.[a

*Ruth was humble and grateful (2:6, 13)

10 At this, she bowed down with her face to the ground. She asked him, “Why have I found such favor in your eyes that you notice me—a foreigner?

13 “May I continue to find favor in your eyes, my lord,” she said. “You have put me at ease by speaking kindly to your servant—though I do not have the standing of one of your servants.”

*Ruth was confident & took refuge in the Lords strength. (2:12)

12 May the Lord repay you for what you have done. May you be richly rewarded by the Lord, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come to take refuge.

*Ruth was obedient (2:22-23, 5-6)

22 Naomi said to Ruth her daughter-in-law, “It will be good for you, my daughter, to go with the women who work for him, because in someone else’s field you might be harmed.”
23 So Ruth stayed close to the women of Boaz to glean until the barley and wheat harvests were finished. And she lived with her mother-in-law.

“I will do whatever you say,” Ruth answered. So she went down to the threshing floorand did everything her mother-in-law told her to do.

*Ruth was patient and waited on Gods timing (3:10, 18)

“This kindness is greater than that which you showed earlier: You have not run after the younger men, whether rich or poor. 

18 Then Naomi said, “Wait, my daughter, until you find out what happens. For the man will not rest until the matter is settled today.”

*Ruth worshipped the Lord and shared His greatness with others! (4:14,15)


14 The women said to Naomi: “Praise be to theLord, who this day has not left you without a guardian-redeemer. May he become famous throughout Israel! 

15 He will renew your life and sustain you in your old age. For your daughter-in-law, who loves you and who is better to you than seven sons, has given him birth.”

* So many great things jump out from this short book, yet after reading it this past time I saw it in a new way. 
I am sure many of you can relate to being in different "fields of life", yet how often do we fully embrace the field we are in? I am so guilty of "working in my field that God has so evidently placed me in, yet I allow so many things to distract me and steal my attention. I love the advice Naomi gave to Ruth (2:22)

22 Naomi said to Ruth her daughter-in-law, “It will be good for you, my daughter, to go with the women who work for him, because in someone else’s field you might be harmed.”

She was talking about staying in the actual field, yet how often do we allow distractions to take us to other places, people, or even circumstances that harm us when we could have been protected if we had only listened and trusted in the provision of the Lord! 

Like Ruth, I want to be focused on the task at hand, like Esther I want to be prepared for "such a time as this," Like Isaiah I desire to say those three words and mean this with all that is in me... Here I am! No matter the circumstance, whether you desire something that has not come, have something you do not want, or even fight being content with where you are now, remember this...

God, who is PERFECT in power, love, and timing is working and interceding on your behalf at this very moment. Continue to trust him and let His plans prevail. Like Ruth let's SET OUT in our fields and trust God to do what only HE can do! 

Seeking Refuge in Him, 

Hannah


No comments: